President's Sustainability Steering Group
The President's Sustainability Steering Group (PSSG) was established in 2009 to more closely work with the president to identify ways that would showcase the college’s ongoing commitment to sustainability and ensure our leadership role upholds specific values that govern an eco-conscious approach to learning. The group consists of faculty, student, staff, and trustee representation.
Since its formation, the PSSG has significantly heightened the college's overall commitment to sustainability.
Princeton Review Green College Ranking
Since its first audit by The Princeton Review in 2009, CCA's PSSG began developing benchmarks to increase the college's green rating. In 2011 CCA was officially recognized in The Princeton Review's Guide to 311 Green Colleges: 2011 Edition.
Major Accords in Sustainability
The PSSG identified the following major sustainability accords that President Beal signed in 2010:
- American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) — This agreement puts the college on a path to climate neutrality.
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education — Institutional membership provides access to educational and research resources geared to advancing sustainability in all sectors of higher education.
- The Talloires Declaration — A 10-point action plan for colleges and universities committed to promoting education for sustainability and environmental literacy.
Development of a Statement of Values
The PSSG devised a statement of values that represents the college's core principles as they pertain to sustainability. These basic tenants are drawn upon frequently to ensure all future growth—curricular, technological, architectural—takes into consideration these best-practice guidelines.
- Minimize harm and optimize benefits to the environment and society in our daily endeavors
- Apply the sustainability values we teach to our students to our facilities, transportation, and purchasing and investing practices
- Provide the tools and resources that motivate our community members to be sustainability leaders
- Draw on and contribute to the resources, knowledge, and initiatives uniquely available in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Foster an academic and operational culture of continuing sustainability innovation
- Identify and promote career opportunities in sustainable practices for our students
PSSG Members Represent the College at Large
The 2010–11 President’s Sustainability Steering Group consists of the following 10 representatives (and committee chair):
David Meckel (President’s Office)
Lynda Grose, Fashion Design faculty (Sustainable Cotton Project)
Christine Metzger, Critical Studies faculty (environmental science)
Susan Worthman (Leading by Design Fellows program; MBA in Design Strateg faculty)
Noah Bartlett (San Francisco campus facilities)
Mark Breitenberg (curriculum liaison, Provost)
Deb Feldmann (facilities & operations)
Jo Slota (safe studio practices)
Byron Kuth, LEED AP (architect)
San Francisco campus address
1111 Eighth Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Oakland campus address
Oakland, CA 94618