The Alternative Materials Studio on the San Francisco campus is attached to the studio manager’s office and offers space for class meetings, individual consultations, project assembly, and various fabrication techniques such as sheet forming, machining, pattern making, and mechanical fastening.
While the equipment in this shop is primarily geared toward working with metal, plastic, and fabric, there is also a well-stocked bench set of bicycle mechanic tools. Like several other shops, the Alt Mat Shop is a well-lit space equipped with compressed air and rubber-mat flooring.
Be sure to review the San Francisco studio shop requirements and guidelines (at right).
- Brother industrial sewing machine
- Juki 1541s heavy-duty walking-foot sewing machine
- Digital Knight K20sp 16 x 20 in. heat press
- Kick Press grommet and snap setter
- Challenge paper-drilling machine
- 4-wheel polishing station
- Ellis 2 1/2 x 60-in. belt sander
- Wysong 37-in. stomp shear
- Tennsmith 36-in. x 22 gauge slip rolls
- Sheet metal 90-degree corner notcher
- Rotex 18 rotary punch press
- 48-in. finger break
- Hossfeld universal iron bender
- Baileigh R-M10 roller bender
- Scotchman 10" Cold Saw
- 16 x 12 in. DAKE band saw
- 12 x 36 in. Wilton Bench lathe
- Bridgeport knee mill
- Bicycle repair stands, wheel-truing stand, bicycle hand tools
- Various reamers & facers for bicycle framebuilding
- Anvil Bicycle Frame Fixtures
- Various donated consumables: fabric, fasteners, metal/plastic sheet-and-bar stock
Fabrication Studio Manager
Visit the Alternative Materials Studio calendar.
San Francisco Studios
CCA’s San Francisco studios are a collection of shared resources that support all SF-based departments. Access is available to all current students and faculty upon attending the individual facility's policy and safety orientations.