About the Furniture Studio
The Furniture Studio is a traditional woodworking studio used primarily by students in the Furniture Program, working exclusively with hardwood, kiln-dried lumber, or plywood.
Collectively, the Machine Room and the Bench Room comprise the Furniture Studio, which houses a wide array of traditional hand tools as well as stationary shaping equipment. (Select image at left to see images of each room.)
Be sure to review the San Francisco general shop requirements and guidelines (at right).
The Furniture Studio’s Machine Room houses high-end equipment for milling and shaping solid hardwoods.
- Martin 20-in. jointer
- Delta 8-in. jointer
- Powermatic 24-in. planer
- General 14-in. planer
- Sawstop 10-in. table saw
- Altendorf 12-in. sliding table saw
- Maggi radial arm saw
- Hitachi Miter saw
- 36-in. band saw
- SCMI 23-in. band saw
- Steton horizontal mortiser
- Router table
- One-way 2636 lathe
- Bench grinders—Tormek, Baldor—(3)
- Ritter 6-in. horizontal belt sander
- Jet 20-in. disc sander
- Powermatic 17-in. surface sander
The Furniture Studio’s Bench Room is a traditional wood-working studio for hand-shaping, steam-bending, vacuum-bagging, etc. (Select image above to view both the Machine and Bench rooms.)
- Woodworking benches (15) stocked with complete hand-tool sets (chisels, files, scrapers, saws, planes, measuring and marking gauges)
- Storage racks for works-in-progress
- Sets of clamps (various sizes)
- Power tools (hand drills, plunge routers, nail-and-staple guns, biscuit jointer, electric hand planes, trim router, Riccar sewing machines for upholstery (3)
- Vacuum bag for custom plywood and bent laminations
- Steam-bending facilities
- Drill presses (Delta & Rockwell)
Furniture Studio Manager
415.551.9289 bench room
Visit the Furniture Studio calendar.
San Francisco Studios
CCA’s San Francisco studios are a collection of shared resources that support all SF-based departments. Access is available to all current students and faculty upon attending the individual facility's policy and safety orientations.