BUSINESS PROCESS ANALYST
SAN FRANCISCO/OAKLAND CAMPUS
JOB # 2214
Founded in 1907, California College of the Arts (CCA) is an independent art college with 21 undergraduate programs in architecture, design, fine arts, visual studies, and writing. The college also has graduate programs in architecture, comics, curatorial practice, design, design strategy, film, fine arts, visual and critical studies, and writing. Through these programs, the college has created a dynamic and interdisciplinary environment. Diverse cultural perspectives enrich the CCA community and the college believes that continuing to expand the horizons of the students and faculty is essential to achieving its educational objectives. With campuses in Oakland and San Francisco, CCA currently enrolls 1,950 full-time students.
The Business Process Analyst will work on college technology projects using user-centered methods to analyze the business requirements, procedures and problems, and recommend technical solutions in line with the requirements. They will work under the oversight of the Strategic Projects Manager to manage and report on their projects as defined by the scope and timeline, working closely with the project team and functional partner. Develop, document and maintain detailed specifications, including use cases and supporting diagrams and supplemental documentation. Act as a key author and contributor to the development of project business case and implementation plans. As projects progress, work with project team to ensure requirements encompass project scope. Support the transition of completed projects to their operational owner(s).
This position is the main liaison between business users and highly technical teams and will be required to elicit, analyze, communicate and validate the college’s business requirements for changes to business processes, policies and information systems.
The Business Analyst must be able to understand the business problems at hand, express the opportunities in the context of the requirements and recommend solutions that enable the organization to achieve its goals.
Above all the business process analyst needs to be a stellar communicator, creative, with excellent organizational skills. The ideal candidate has a strong desire to make a difference and be a central team member on challenging and interesting projects.
REPORTS TO: Strategic Projects Manager
DEPARTMENT: Office of the CIO/ETS
% of time Responsibilities
40% Business Requirements & Project Planning
- Analyze business requirements, procedures and problems and apply solutions in line with business requirements of clients. May collaborate with functional and technical leads.
- Document and manage requirements, including any changes in scope, communicating with project team and client on impact
- Gather, document, analyze and prioritize detailed business requirements based on users and business needs
- Deploy user-centered methods to gather requirements including, requirements gathering workshops, design charrettes, and one-on-one interviews.
- Gather existing data to help with decision-making and problem definition.
- Work with team to identify appropriate solutions and vendors based upon requirements.
- Coordinate vendor presentations when necessary.
- Scope and provide project estimates based on proposed solution.
- Contribute the development of Business Case and Implementation Plans.
20% Business Process Documentation & Use Case Development
- Work with functional partners to articulate and capture current and ideal workflows.
- Create & archive workflow and device diagrams and flows to illustrate steps and describe logical operational steps of the system and function.
- Utilize analysis tools such as data flow diagrams, process models and data models
- Create system requirements specifications using Use Cases, User Stories, and other supplementary documentation
40% Project Lifecycle Support
- Participate and support project team members through the project lifecycle (inception through transition)
- Collaborates with IT & functional leadership, system admins, developers, project managers to develop and improve processes
- Facilitate the transition of the requirements to the operations and helpdesk teams.
- Provide 2nd tier analysis support and analysis on production systems
- Identifies client training needs, create training plans, develop training materials, and conducts training sessions that drive system adoption
- Provide input into process improvement activities across the College
- Create accurate work estimates for analyst deliverables
- Stay up to date with industry and technology trends
- Demonstrated experience doing business process analysis using user-centered techniques that have resulted in successful project launches and productions systems with satisfied customers.
- Degree or certificate in user centered design or business process analysis preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with Use Cases and requirements gathering techniques, user-centered methods experience preferred.
- Experience with workflow design and development of requirements gathering with Use Cases.
- Competent in the tools and methods required for workflow design.
- Competent to work on complex projects independently and with a team during multiple phases of a project.
- Ability to frame problems and opportunities to present solutions.
- Experienced at application training and documentation.
- Understanding of issues regarding integration of applications to other enterprise systems.
- Working knowledge of business and academic software, experience working with open source development projects a plus.
- Industry experience in higher education or an understanding of its technical portfolio desired.
- Experience with enterprise systems such as Salesforce and Ellucian Colleague desired.
Communication and management:
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills in order to work effectively with staff, students, and faculty with a range of learning styles and technical proficiencies.
- Able to manage expectations of client and internal project team.
- Strategic planning and problem solving experience.
- Ability to represent/communicate technical requirements and trade-offs in a business environment using user-friendly language to facilitate effective decision-making and problem solving.
- Knowledge of project management and methodology and ability to scope projects effectively.
- Ability to effectively communicate issues with Project Manager and project team, and provide solutions to issues.
- Must have a high degree of creativity for developing innovative solutions, an affinity for collaboration, and good time management and follow-through skills.
- Ability to assess and learn from mistakes.
SALARY: Applicants are requested to state salary history and requirements; position includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Applicants are invited to submit a letter of interest, resume and contact information for three professional references to:
California College of the Arts
Human Resources (Job #2214)
Recommended document file formats are Word or PDF. If there are multiple attachments, we recommend compressing/zipping your files into a zip format file. Documents larger than 10MB, should be submitted on CD and forwarded to CCA as indicated above.
Screening begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. NOTE: If you wish to be notified of the status of your application for this position, please provide a current email address on your resume or cover letter.
California College of the Arts is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.