Campus Safety

I Need Information Quickly



What to Do in an Emergency


DIAL 9-1-1 TO REPORT AN EMERGENCY situation that requires the police, fire department, or paramedics (medical crisis). Note: You can dial 9-1-1 from any home, business, or pay phone; however, dialing 9-1-1 from a cell phone may connect you to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).

Next report the incident to the Public Safety Office on the campus where the incident has occurred.  You can reach the public safety staff on all campus locations by dialing:

415.703.9510 from any off-campus or cell phone or just 9510 from any on-campus phone.

IMPORTANT: When calling Public Safety or other direct emergency listing from a CCA campus phone, you must first dial “8” to access an off-campus line.

Emergency vs. Nonemergency

An emergency is an unforeseen combination of circumstances -- or the resulting state -- that calls for immediate action such as the urgent need for assistance or relief.

If a situation requires assistance, but is NOT life threatening, contact a Public Safety officer to advise how to proceed. Learn more about nonemergency situations »

Types of Emergencies

An emergency could arise from any of the situations listed below (including a combination thereof). Each emergency type links to a section that contains general guidelines and procedures should such an event occur.

We strongly encourage all CCA community members to familiarize themselves with these procedures.

Fire or Smoke
Medical (bodily injury, heart attack, loss of consciousness, electrocution, drowning, poisoning)
Earthquake (or other natural catastrophe)
Public riot or civil disturbance (violent riot or protest, or an individual's violent or threatening behavior, hostage situation)
Chemical spill
Shelter-in-place guidelines

Note: The above list is not exhaustive; it is impossible to anticipate every possible major emergency or disaster situation that may be encountered by the college or the community. 

It's also equally impossible to prepare detailed plans for incidents where the nature and extent of the event or condition is unforeseen.

Building Safety Features

Learn more about CCA's building safety features »

Assistance for Persons with Disabilities

For persons with disabilities who seek assistance, be sure to ask what type of assistance they require. Follow the instructions carefully; individuals with disabilities, like all persons, have rights and know what is best for them.

See Evacuation or Relocation of Persons with Disabilities

How CCA Responds to Emergencies

The California College of the Arts addresses emergency situations through the National Incident Management System (NIMS). All Public Safety staff and most critical department heads have been trained in implementation of NIMS.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency oversees emergency management training and has a NIMS fact sheet available for additional information.  

The CCA Emergency Response Plan is authorized by the the president of the college and under review of the Risk Management Committee. 

Reporting Crimes

To report a crime contact Public Safety at 415.703.9510 or 9510 from an on-campus phone (non-emergencies) or dial 9-1-1 (emergencies). Any suspicious activity or person should be reported. In addition you may report a crime to any faculty or staff member or through the CCA Cares web page.  

Some individuals may wish to make certain reports confidentially.

See Reporting Sexual Misconduct, Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation.