All students should familiarize themselves with the Ceramics Studio Access Policy, listed below, prior to using the facilities.
CCA's Treadwell Ceramic Arts Center
The Treadwell Ceramic Arts Center is a light-filled, two-story building with generous studios that include dedicated areas for hand building, wheel throwing, and slip casting. Each floor has a long kiln room with a total of 16 electric and 15 gas kilns. The spacious glaze room includes a comprehensive supply of raw materials for glaze mixing, a decal-printing station, ball mills, and a spray booth.
The ventilation system was recently upgraded, and new sink catchments were added, in line with the program's focus on safety and environmental concerns.
The second floor provides dedicated studio areas for juniors and private studios for seniors and graduate students, including a lounge with a small kitchen and computer access. Students fire all their own work in the second-floor kiln room.
Ceramics Inside & Out
California weather allows classes to take advantage of the Ceramics Program's outdoor workspace, which includes a new pugmill/extruder and a historic sculpture garden. The Icebox Gallery is available on a rotating schedule for experimental student exhibitions, and the seminar room is available to students for photographing their work.
- BLAAUW state of the art computerized gas kiln
- Modernized Raw Materials room complete with Nederman Collection System
- Bailey MXT125T Mixer/Pugger complete with extruder housing
- Kaiser sx7 air compressor with enclosed sandblaster
- 12 Brent EX (150 pound capacity) pottery wheels (4 Brent ex, 8 Lockerbie kick/electric)
- 5 Rennovated Alpine gas kilns: 11 total Alpine gas kilns
- 15 electric Skutt kilns of various sizes; computerized touch pads with Skutt "Kiln Link” cloud based monitoring system
- Spray booth complete with glaze spray guns, banding wheel and variable air pressure control
- Slip casting area complete with two 80 gallon slip casting tanks and approximately 100 plus pre-existing casting molds
- Soldner clay mixer
- Two Brent slab rollers
- North Star and Bailey Extruders
- Two portable self contained glaze rinsing stations (the Cink)
All students and guests are required to sign a Ceramics Program studio contract provided by the studio manager before working in the studio. Studio access is prioritized for students currently enrolled in Ceramics courses.
CCA students, faculty, and staff who are not currently enrolled have limited access by special arrangement with the studio manager. Contact the studio manager for more information.
Treadwell Hall, Oakland campus
General areas are open 22 hours a day (24 hours a day during the last three weeks of the semester).
Note: The Seminar Room / downstairs Kiln Room is locked at 7 p.m. nightly.
The Kiln Room, Glaze Room, and personal studios are open 22 hours a day (24 hours a day during the last three weeks of the semester).
Holiday and break access hours are in accordance with the collegewide holiday and break access policy.
Craig Petey, Ceramics Studio Manager