Now in its third year, California College of the Arts (CCA) Fashion Sustainability Workshop Series offers professional development in two-day capsules over the summer.
This year’s workshop, Resource-Fullness, examines the inventive possibilities of material, social, and cultural resources already at hand, applied to current fashion practice as well as to shaping future practice.
The Future of Fashion Starts Here
Adapting to a resource-constrained world and innovating within the limits of nature will be critical to the survival of the fashion industry. Responding to natural limits can provide a framework for innovative design, fresh business models, and exciting new directions for modes of practice.
Workshops are designed for working fashion professionals and bring together a high caliber group of thought leaders and practitioners to ensure an inspirational, active, and invigorating experience. Participants leave with pragmatic tools that can be implemented immediately, a body of knowledge providing insights and solutions into current practice, and new skills and innovative thinking to direct next practice.
Workshops deliver through a combination of field trips, lectures, intimate group discussions, specially designed activities and hands-on studio work.
Guest Faculty for Resource-Fullness
- Bob Adams, designer/farmer and IDEO Fellow
- Lauren Anderson, Collaborative Consumption Institute
- Sophie Mather, biov8tion
- John Warner, founder of the Warner Babcock Institute for Green Chemistry
Guest faculty span many disciplines and have included leading visionaries:
- Karen Brown, creative director of the Center for Ecoliteracy
- Amanda Cattermole, Levi Strauss & Co.
- Timo Rissanen, pioneer in no-waste pattern cutting and coeditor (with Alison Gwilt) of Shaping Sustainable Fashion
- Eric Wilmanns, cofounder, Brown and Wilmanns Sustainability
These workshops are geared to practicing fashion professionals working in the following areas: creative design, textile development, production, sales, marketing, business/costing. (How to Register)