We are agile. We are tenacious. We are creative. We are used to trying new media to express new ideas, to connect people, and to build things. Online instruction modules, virtual mentorship, and critiques via chat are just new media to us. The caliber of faculty, the quality of thought, and the level of dedication to our students has not changed, even though we cannot meet in person.
Per local and state public health guidelines, CCA has made the decision to move forward with a fully online fall 2020 semester. Below is a summary of the protocol already in place, prioritizing students’ health and well-being by fully supporting a full educational experience online. We have already been hard at work imagining creative possibilities for studio work from anywhere and are ready to put plans into action.
For any new incoming student who would like to talk through the experience of online instruction for fall 2020, the Office of Admissions would be glad to go over the details to help you prepare for starting at CCA this fall.
Curriculum and instruction
We were prepared with a thoughtful contingency plan of action to ensure that we would be able to deliver instruction to students in all programs entirely online.
- We already had in place the ability to offer a full semester of First Year Core curriculum fully online, including studio courses. Coursework will be delivered in modules and assignments for students to complete asynchronously, with opportunities for scheduled live, real-time feedback.
- This mode of instruction is available to students to participate from where they are located, in any time zone, as long as they have reliable internet access. Students who are concerned about internet access still have the opportunity to live in CCA housing while taking their courses fully online.
- Students will have access to the same amount of mentorship and engagement by their instructor and peers, although delivered virtually.
- Though a large majority of courses have already been creatively adapted to online instruction, not all major-specific courses can be offered in this method. We will work with students to adjust their academic plan to adapt to the changed circumstances.
Health and safety
We are putting student health and well-being first in everything we do, which is why we made the difficult decision to move forward with online-only curriculum for the fall and keep our classrooms and studios closed for the time being.
Student housing will remain open. A detailed plan for enhancing physical health and safety in our student housing has been developed by our Safety and Space Solutions Task Force in partnership with public health officials and other experts:
- Buildings and public spaces will be cleaned and sanitized frequently according to strict protocols and health and safety guidelines.
- Per the guidance of health care professionals, CCA will require testing and health checks and support contact tracing for staff and students who will be in campus housing. More information about these policies will be forthcoming to students joining us in housing this fall.
- We anticipate that everyone will be required to wear face coverings in all shared and public spaces, in accordance with public health requirements.
- Community spaces are being reconfigured to accommodate physical distancing requirements.
- Residence halls will open at reduced occupancy and on-campus dining facilities will be temporarily modified to reduce density. Takeout options will be expanded.
- Staff engaged in supporting student services and campus facilities will continue to provide the necessary support and work as usual—many primarily or entirely remotely.
Housing and dining
We are still prepared to safely welcome all students who need or want to live in CCA housing this fall while taking classes entirely remotely. All residence halls and food-service locations will be open and operate under strict guidelines regarding enhanced cleaning, physical distancing, and other public health protocols to promote health and safety.
- Our new student residence, Founders Hall, and on-site dining facility, Makers Cafe, will open on schedule on August 22, when move-in appointments begin.
- Founders Hall also benefits from thoughtful design plans and the fact that it’s a brand-new build: There is no recirculation of air in the building; the system uses only fresh, filtered outside air; and most spaces have operable windows for increased air flow.
- Students will be assigned single-occupancy rooms for the fall semester to support physical distancing. This will not increase the room cost for students who have requested doubles. Students who have selected doubles may be assigned a roommate once physical distancing restrictions are loosened.
- Makers Cafe will open with takeout and advanced ordering options, and outdoor seating will be available with proper physical distancing as determined by San Francisco public health orders.
- The exception for remote learning given circumstances this fall does not change CCA’s live-on residency requirement for incoming students when they are able to return to campus.
Student services and resources
We are prepared to support our students fully, and to the best of our abilities, by adapting student services and resources to be accessible online and remotely.
- CCA’s Online Learning: A Student's Guide Portal page will be a gateway to information, resources, and support to help students succeed in a remote learning environment. Topics include how to set up a remote learning space; access available technologies and user support; connect remotely with student services such as advising, counseling, and financial aid; and find policy changes and updates due to COVID–19. This page will be updated regularly as additional information and resources become available.
- Student services such as Financial Aid, Academic Advising, Career Development, International Student Affairs and Programs, Counseling, and other services will be delivered remotely (by phone, email, Zoom, etc.) to the degree possible to reduce physical contact.
Fall 2020 academic calendar
Our fall semester schedule does not change with the switch to a fully online curriculum. See CCA’s academic calendar.
- Our fall 2020 semester will begin on schedule Wednesday, September 2, and end on Tuesday, December 15.
We recognize that plans may shift as circumstances change and health officials update guidelines and recommendations. We will continue to provide updates via email as well as on the college’s COVID–19 resource page on Portal. If you have questions in the meantime and you’re not sure where to direct them, please contact CCA’s Office of Admissions at [email protected], or call/text +1 415-610-7004.