Applying for Federal Direct Loans

To receive a Federal Direct Loan in the 2018-19 academic year, all new and continuing students who are first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers at CCA must complete the following:

  • 2018–19 FAFSA application
  • Return a signed copy of your financial aid award letter to CCA that includes the amount of subsidized and/or unsubsidized Direct Loan you intend to borrow. Review the back of your award letter for more information.
  • Loan entrance counseling. Students may contact the Financial Aid Office to request a loan counseling session in person. Only first-time borrowers at CCA need to complete entrance counseling.
  • Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). This MPN can be used for all of your subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loans while you are enrolled at CCA. You can complete and sign the Direct Loan MPN online. You must complete and sign a Direct Loan MPN to receive your loan funds.

You will need your U.S. Department of Education issued Federal PIN to complete an electronic MPN and the loan entrance counseling session -- this is the same PIN used to complete your FAFSA application. For additional information or to ask general PIN questions, visit the official PIN site.

Please review the information in “What You Need” and “What to Expect” sections on the MPN website before completing an electronic MPN. Be sure to choose California College of the Arts (Federal School Code: 001127) as the school association.

See Educational Loans for additional Direct Loan information.

If you prefer not to complete the Direct Loan MPN online, please contact us to obtain a paper MPN. Please note by not completing the Direct Loan MPN online, this will delay the processing of your loan(s).