Working on campus while studying at CCA, even a few hours each week, can help provide you with the necessary resources to meet your expenses.

Students receive one of two types of work-study awards: Federal Work-Study (FWS) or Institutional Work-Study (IWS).

Learn more »

Your financial aid award letter indicates which type of employment you have been awarded. Regardless of which type of award you receive, you will receive payment for your hours worked. These earnings are yours to use toward your expenses during the academic year.

Students who receive an FWS award may have part of their wages paid by the federal government and another part by CCA.

Because FWS is a need-based student aid program, earnings are excluded from income when the recipient applies for financial aid for the following year. CCA pays the full wage for those students who receive an IWS award.


CCA does not place you in a job. You must conduct your own job search to identify opportunities that best fit your interests, skills, and class schedules.

All work-study jobs are posted on an internal job board you can search after logging into the Workday envrionment.

Search "Find Student Jobs" once logged in. If you experience log-in issues, contact the CCA's Helpdesk.

Limited Student Employment

CCA has limited funding for student employment and therefore has to limit each student's employment allocation in order to maximize the number of students who work on campus.

A student's financial aid award indicates the amount that may be initially earned through FWS or IWS employment. Should you have additional federal need, you award may be increased above what is listed on the award.

Employment Is Not Guaranteed

An offer of work-study is not a guarantee of employment or a cash award. Student employment awards cannot be included when you complete your Student Accounts Billing Worksheet because they do not guarantee employment or earnings.

Student Employment Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have a valid social security number (SSN) to work on campus.
  • You must be one of the following to be eligible for FWS: US citizen, permanent resident, or other eligible classifications of noncitizen. International students are only eligible for IWS.
  • You must have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to participate in the FWS program.
  • Students who do not qualify for FWS may work on campus through the IWS program.
  • Both FWS and IWS-eligible students must be enrolled and maintain enrollment at CCA in at least 6 units during the fall and spring semesters.
  • To work during breaks, holidays, and summer sessions, you must be pre-enrolled in at least 6 units (i.e., two courses) in the upcoming semester.
  • You may work if you are enrolled in the summer semester, even if you do not intend to enroll for the upcoming fall or spring semester.

How Students are Paid

All students must regularly submit time in Workday by the scheduled payroll deadlines. Students may not save their time entry to submit at the end of the semester. Students and supervisors will be notifed via email prior to each payroll lockout period when hours need to be submitted for payment.

Students must allow adequate time for their supervisor to review and approve time entered. Students who have more than one position at CCA must submit separate time entry in Workday for each position.  Never enter time on the Student Shell.

Pay periods
Pay periods run from the 1st to the 15th of the month; and from the 16th to the last day of the month.

Approved time sheets should be submitted in Workday within three business days after the pay period ending date. Paychecks are available on the 10th and the 26th of each month.

CCA recommends signing up for direct deposit. Direct deposit ensures that a student's paycheck goes into an identified bank account, allowing students access to their earnings without worry of misplacing a paycheck.

For those students who forego the direct deposit option, checks will be sent to the campus that is designated in the position in which the student is hired.