CCA sponsors several opportunities for international students to gain work experience during their studies here. Such work is limited to 20 hours per week while classes are in session, but up to 40 hours per week is allowed during vacation periods, including summer break.

On-Campus Employment

International students with F-1 nonimmigrant status may participate in CCA's Student Employment Program, which offers paid positions on campus as well as opportunities to work in local nonprofit organizations that partner with CCA's Center for Art and Public Life.

Work performed on the college's premises for an outside contractor or firm, such as a campus café, is also permitted if the employer provides direct services to students.

Non-CCA Employment

Through two more programs, international students who have maintained F-1 status for at least nine consecutive months may request authorization to accept noncollege employment in their field of study:

Curricular Practical Training authorizes international students to accept employment that is endorsed by a college internship program, employment that is required for completion of the degree program, or employment for which they are otherwise eligible to receive academic credit.

Optional Practical Training allows international students to work outside of the curriculum in positions commensurate with their level of education. This work authorization may be granted during or immediately after students' program of study.

Most students choose to participate in this program following graduation since it allows them an additional full year of experience in the United States.

To take advantage of either practical training program, international students must obtain prior approval from CCA's international student advisor and the U.S. immigration service.

Although international students' options for lawful employment are varied, specific eligibility criteria and competition for a limited number of positions restricts their participation in these programs.

International students should not plan to rely on income from U.S. employment to meet their costs of attendance. They should also note that immigration regulations do not allow U.S. employment of F-2 dependents (spouses and children of F-1 students).