Proof of English

International applicants who are from a country where the official language is other than English are required to provide verification of English-language proficiency by submitting official test scores.

Official Test Scores

CCA recognizes the following test providers as verification of English-language proficiency:

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
CAE (Cambridge English: Advanced)
CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Language)
PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic)
SAT, ACT, AP (Advanced Placement)
IB (International Baccalaureate)

Applicants must request an official copy of a score(s) be sent directly from the testing service to the Enrollment Services Office. Test scores are valid for two years from date test was originally taken.

Test Score Minimums

TOEFL: paper-based -- 550
TOEFL: internet-based -- 79
IELTS -- 6.5
CAE -- Grade C
CEFR -- C1
PTE Academic -- 58
SAT Reading & Writing -- 490
ACT English & Reading subsection score -- 20
AP English language -- 3
IB English score -- 4

Send all materials to:
California College of the Arts
Enrollment Services Office
1111 Eighth Street
San Francisco CA 94107

Conditions for English-Language Proficiency Waiver

CCA accepts certain conditions in place of the proof-of-English-language proficiency requirement:

  • Minimum three years attendance at an English-speaking secondary school or a four-year college or university (excluding extended-education coursework)
  • Completion of US transferable coursework equivalent to English 1A(writing) or 1B (literature), or both, with a grade of C or above
  • Completion of ELS Center Level 112
  • Converse International School of Languages -- San Francisco and San Diego (Level 9)
  • The English Center (Level 5)

Discuss with your international admission counselor if you believe you should be exempted from taking the proof-of-English-language proficiency tests.

Conditional Admission Options

Some international undergraduate students may need to improve their English skills before entering CCA. They can do so at specified language centers in the United States. Provided they have met all remaining CCA undergraduate admission requirements, CCA will issue conditional letters of acceptance to students who enroll in the language centers listed above.