True collaborations come easily, especially when they combine history and clay.
Ceramics faculty member Kari Marboe, Director of Alumni Relations Jessica Russell, Director of Libraries Annemarie Haar, and CCA alumnae Eve Steccati-Tanovitz (Graphic Design 1969) and Arlene Streich (Arts Education 1961; Painting 1966) worked together to reveal the history of the college’s archived woodblocks and incorporate these historical tools at the Ceramic Program’s Open House, which took place as part of CCA’s Alumni Weekend earlier this month.
Story of the Woodblocks
In the late 1960s, Professor Emeritus Vincent Perez was teaching woodblock printing and drawing at what was then CCAC. An Alumni Office staff member in Treadwell Hall (now Macky Hall) asked Perez if he would like to take possession of the woodblocks.
The woodblocks had been previously used to print the college’s publications (course catalogs, newsletters, and diplomas) going back to its founding in 1907 and decades thereafter.
If Perez hadn’t wanted them, they would have been thrown away.