Professional, confidential counseling is available free of charge to all students.

Counseling can help students cope with personal issues and assist them in meeting the challenges of a creative academic environment.

CCA mental health crisis hotline: 510.594.5099.


To make an appointment with a counselor, contact Student Affairs in Oakland at 510.594.3666 or in San Francisco at 415.703.9570. Staff will ask you a few basic questions, then schedule an appointment.

Call early in the term to set up an appointment.

Alternatively, you may make an appointment in person at the Student Affairs Office in either Oakland or San Francisco.

Counseling Services

How many sessions can a student have?

CCA can provide 10 sessions of free psychological counseling per year to each student.

Counseling Services offers brief individual therapy, crisis intervention, assessments, and referrals to community resources.

In addition to personal counseling, we provide presentations and workshops on topics related to student life and the experience of being a creative person.

Who are the counselors?

The department is run by two licensed psychologists who work closely with doctoral-level psychology interns. These interns are the counselors. All of the interns have prior experience counseling people.

What kinds of counseling are available?

Brief individual therapy: support for ongoing personal struggles and psychological conditions

Crisis intervention: immediate help during or after an event that has caused emotional, mental, physical, or behavioral distress, or any combination thereof.

Assessments: Help identifying a specific psychological condition (e.g., depression, ADHD, anxiety)

What if I need more than 10 sessions or something that isn’t offered?

Counseling services can also provide referrals to professionals in the community (e.g., psychiatrists, learning specialists, LGBT centers). We recommend starting with CCA counseling, and after 10 sessions, transition to another counselor in the community.

I have unique needs that aren’t listed here. Can they be accommodated?

Please let Student Affairs or Counseling Services know. They’ll do their best to help.

What are the options for staff and faculty?

Confidential consultations also are available for faculty and staff. Contact the director at 510.594.3670.