Accessing Student Schedules

Students can download their official schedule via WebAdvisor.

Once courses begin, all changes a student wishes to make to this schedule must be made using an Add/Drop form during the first two weeks of the semester, or a Withdrawal from Course form during weeks 3–10 of the semester.

The forms must be submitted in person to the Student Records Office. (See Academic Calendar for semester deadlines.)

In most cases schedules can only be altered by the students themselves. The few exceptions to this policy are when a student has been dropped from all courses for nonpayment of fees, has enrolled in a course that was later canceled, or has been dropped from a course for one of the reasons stated in the Enrollment Monitoring section

See Also Registration »

Instructors cannot drop or withdraw students from courses even if the student has never attended the course. It is the student's responsibility to notify the Student Records Office of any changes in their schedule.

Students who drop or withdraw from all courses and are also interested in taking a Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from the college should consult the Leave of Absence & Withdrawal Policies section of the Student Handbook.

Adding & Dropping Courses

Students are required to complete and submit the Term Withdrawal form to the Student Records Office to officially begin the withdrawal process from all courses or to drop all courses during the first two weeks of the fall or the spring term.

The online add/drop period begins on the Friday before the start of the academic term each semester and lasts through the Monday of the second week.

During the fall and spring semesters, students can add or drop courses online by the following deadlines: September 8 for fall 2014; January 26 for spring 2015.

During the restricted add/drop period, permission to add a course is at the instructor’s discretion; students who miss several class meetings may not be permitted to add the course should the instructor determine they are too far behind.

See also Attendance Policy »

Students are advised to check with their instructors before the end of the second week of the term to verify that their names are on all appropriate course rosters.

Students who discover that their names are missing from a course roster must submit a completed Add/Drop form to the Student Records Office before the end of the add/drop period if they wish to be officially enrolled in the course.

An undergraduate student trying to add a graduate level class, or a graduate student trying to add an undergraduate class will have to wait until the open online registration period to add the class (or the first week of the term during the add/drop period). In both situations students will need the approval of the Chair of the intended program, or from the Associate Director of the intended division in addition to the instructors permission.

The summer term follows a different schedule, depending on the number of meetings per course. Please refer to the summer schedule of courses for details. CCA summer courses that take place outside the Bay Area often have earlier registration, refund, and withdrawal deadlines.

Please check with CCA Extension for details.

In unusual circumstances a student may petition the Policy Review Committee for permission to add a course or courses after the add/drop deadline. If the petition is successful, the student will be charged a $200 fee for the late add.

Under no circumstances will a student be permitted to add a course after the final meeting, even with a letter of support from the instructor.

Withdrawing from One or More Courses

*Students are required to complete and submit the Term Withdrawal form to the Student Records Office to officially begin the withdrawal process from all courses.

The withdrawal period is from the third week of the term through the tenth week of the term.*

After the second week and before the end of the tenth week of the semester, a student may withdraw from a course by submitting a Course Withdrawal Form to the Student Records Office on either campus.

The grade of W will be assigned to the course on the student's permanent transcript, and the student will receive no tuition refund.

Withdrawing from a course after the add/drop period could result in a change from full-time to part-time status, if the student’s total number of active units remaining is fewer than 12.

For instance, if a student is registered in 12 units and withdraws from a 3-unit course, that student is considered a part-time student. Such a change in status will only affect enrollment verification requests (typically needed for Good Student Driver discounts, private insurance coverage, and loan deferments) submitted to the Student Records Office after the close of the add/drop period.

(Note: A change in status may affect the student’s eligibility to remain enrolled in the CCA Student Health Insurance Plan. Please contact the director of access and wellness at or call 510.594.3775 for further information.)

If a student withdraws from all courses during the semester, that student may be eligible for a partial tuition credit or be subject to the Title IV Return of Funds Policy.

See Tuition Refunds & Credits »

Students who fail to notify the college of their intent to withdraw are held responsible for all tuition and fees owed to the college and will not be eligible for any refunds or credits.

Failure to attend classes or verbal announcement of the intent to withdraw does not constitute official notification.

Students who are considering withdrawing from one or more courses (or have questions about how to make the decision to withdraw) should consult with their advisor.

A student’s eligibility to remain in CCA residential housing will not be affected if the change in status (from full-time to part-time status) occurs as a result of withdrawal from one or more courses.

See Residential Life »