Students who wish to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the college during the add/drop period will receive a tuition refund, less any nonrefundable or other applicable charges.
No refunds will be made to students who are dismissed from the college due to disciplinary action.
Tuition Refund Policy
Prior to the beginning of the term through the second week, 100 percent of tuition can be refunded.
After the end of the second week of classes, no refunds are offered.
Tuition Credits / Extraordinary Circumstances
Students who wish to go on a leave of absence or withdraw from the college after the add/drop period are not entitled to a tuition refund.
If a student withdraws due to extraordinary, unforeseen circumstances, that student may petition the Policy Review Committee for a partial tuition credit. Such requests are granted at the committee’s discretion, which is based on the student's provided documentation.
Should a credit be granted, it is calculated according to the following scale:
- Approved requests at weeks 3–7 of the semester are issued a 50 percent credit
- Approved requests at weeks 8–10 of the semester are issued a 30 percent credit
- After week 10: No credit is issued
If a student is granted a credit, it is applied toward any remaining balance on the student's account with the following adjustments:
- Any CCA scholarship or state grant assistance that was received for the semester will be reduced by the same percentage used to calculate the tuition credit.
- If the student received any federal aid (Federal Stafford or PLUS Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Pell Grant, or SEOG), he or she may be subject to the Title IV Return of Funds Policy (see below).
Any remaining credit is not refunded to the student, but instead will be held on the student's account for one academic year. Credits not used within one academic year are typically forfeited. (Note: The deposit/registration fee is nonrefundable.)
Title IV Return of Funds Policy
Dispersed Federal Funds Owed by Students to Lenders: The college is required, per the Title IV Return of Funds Policy, to return any unused portion of federal financial aid for students who withdraw from the college before 60 percent of the semester is completed.
Students are required to repay these funds to the college and will be billed accordingly.
Students should consult with CCA financial aid counselors on these matters (see contact information, top right ).
Financial Aid Counseling
Hours: M–F: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Mail: Financial Aid Office
CCA SF campus
1111 Eighth Street
San Francisco CA 94107-2247
Student Housing Refund & Cancellation Policies
When students apply for housing for the fall/spring term, they are signing a lease for a full academic year.
For those who choose to move off campus prior to the end of the contract period, they are not eligible for a refund.
Students who apply for housing for spring term only are responsible for half the academic year housing fees.
And for students who apply for summer housing only, they are responsible for all fees associated with the summer term defined in the summer housing contract.
Contract Cancellation Approvals
Requests for cancellation will be automatically approved for students who graduate in December or are approved for CCA-sponsored spring semester exchange programs.
Supporting documentation must be provided. Contact the Office of Residential Life for more information.
Withdrawal, Leaves & Academic Dismissals
Students who withdraw, take a leave of absence, or are placed on academic dismissal may file a petition with the Policy Review Committee to have their circumstances reviewed for possible release from their housing contract.
A resident whose housing is terminated for disciplinary reasons receives no refund.
Students may cancel their academic year housing application or room assignment in WebAdvisor. Students who cancel their housing applications prior to June 1 are refunded their full $600 deposit.
For cancellations on or after June 1, the schedule of cancellation fees is as follows:
- Between June 1 and August 30, inclusive -- forfeit $350 portion of the housing deposit and charged a $250 cancellation fee
- August 31 -- Last Day of Add/Drop, inclusive -- forfeit $350 portion of the housing deposit and charged a $1,500 cancellation fee
- After Add/Drop -- Resident is responsible for full housing fees for fall and spring semesters
(For students new to housing in spring semester only)
- Between January 1-14, inclusive -- forfeit $350 portion of deposit and charged a $250 cancellation fee
- January 15 -- last day of Add/Drop, inclusive -- forfeit $350 portion of deposit and charged a $1,500 cancellation fee
- After Add/Drop -- resident is responsible for full spring semester housing fees
Summer housing students must pay housing fees in full at the time of application. No refunds of summer housing fees are provided.
Financial Aid Refunds
See Enrollment Policies in the Financial Aid section for information about financial aid refunds
San Francisco campus address
1111 Eighth Street
San Francisco CA 94107
Oakland campus address
Oakland CA 94618