Undergraduate Degree Requirements

Students are eligible to receive bachelor's degrees from CCA when they have completed all major and other curricular requirements, completed the appropriate number of semester units for the degree they are seeking (120 units for the BA and the BFA, 159 units for the BArch), and met the GPA and residency requirements.

Degrees are posted on the student's transcript once all the final semester grades are received and the Student Records Office has conducted a final graduation check. Students who do not pass this final check will be notified by mail of any outstanding requirements.

Students are responsible for keeping track of their progress toward graduation, including units completed and fulfillment of major requirements. In order to graduate, students must satisfy the degree requirements in effect at the time of their matriculation at CCA.

Degree Audits

Students can access the Degree Audit by logging in to WebAdvisor. This allows students to track their progress toward graduation by listing all applicable course requirements according to the categories of the curriculum (first-year Core, major, Humanities and Science, and elective). It also indicates whether each requirement is completed, in progress, or outstanding.

The Degree Audit reflects all units the student has earned at CCA or transferred from a different institution. The audits are updated after the grades are posted each term.

Because each major has different curricular requirements, Degree Audits may be altered significantly whenever students select or change their major. Students are advised to have a copy of their Degree Audit with them whenever they meet with their advisor.

Grade-Point Average Requirement

Undergraduates must have a cumulative CCA grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0 or above to be eligible to graduate. Degrees are posted on the student's transcript once all grades have been received and the Student Records Office has conducted a final graduation check.

Students who do not pass this final check will be notified by mail of any outstanding requirements.

Residency Requirement

According to CCA's residency requirement, students must take their last 30 units of course work toward a BA or BFA and their last 48 units of course work toward a BArch at the college. In addition, students are required to attend CCA for the semester in which they will be completing their final degree requirements. 

C Grade Requirement

The following courses must be completed with a grade of C or better to be counted toward undergraduate degree requirements:

  • All first-year Core studios/substitutions
  • All courses required by the major program
  • Specific Humanities and Sciences requirements (listed below)

A student who receives a grade of C- or lower in a major requirement may be able to count the course as an elective. Students in this situation should consult with their advisor for details. In order to receive credit toward the major requirement, the student must repeat the course with a grade of C or better. Whether the course is repeated for a higher grade, the original grade remains on the student's transcript and will factor into that student’s term and cumulative GPAs.

Undergraduate students who receive less than a C for a second time in a repeated major requirement will need the permission of their program chair to continue in the major. Students are required to first meet with their program chair to discuss their continuation in the degree program. All students are also advised to make an appointment with their major advisor to determine next steps at the College.

The following Humanities and Sciences courses must be passed with a grade of C or higher to be counted as a Humanities and Sciences requirement or elective:

  • Writing 1 and 2
  • Introduction to the Arts: Antiquity to Early Modern
  • Introduction to the Modern Arts
  • Foundations in Critical Studies
  • History of Interiors 1 and 2 (for Interior Design majors only)
  • Architecture History 1 and 2 (for Architecture majors only)
  • Math/Physics (for Architecture majors only)
  • Advanced Geometry (for Architecture majors only)
  • Programming and Electronics (for Interaction Design majors only)

English Placement Exam

The English Placement Exam is a timed, two-part assessment (multiple-choice reading comprehension and essay) designed to place students at the appropriate level in their beginning English courses at CCA. All students are required to take the English Placement Exam prior to their first semester at the college unless the student has provided official documentation that they have met one of the following criteria: http://www.cca.edu/admissions/admitted/english

Undergraduate Internships

A college-sponsored internship is required for completion of programs in Architecture (BArch and MArch), Interior Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Interaction Design and Curatorial Practice. Other programs strongly encourage their students to complete an internship, recognizing that the experience enhances students' prospects of successful employment after graduation; students without a required internship may take an elective internship course for 3-units.

Students must complete the internship process, per their major, to receive credit toward the internship class or requirement. Additionally, international students must receive work authorization by completing the CPT process BEFORE before starting their internship. Failure to obtain work authorization for practical training, prior to employment as an intern, jeopardizes an international student's immigration status.

Undergraduate Independent Study

Independent study is an unscheduled 3-unit course of study. To qualify for an independent study in studio, a student must be an upper-division, matriculated undergraduate in good academic standing and must have completed a minimum of 45 studio units. To qualify for an independent study in Humanities and Science, the student must be in good academic standing.

Independent study must be approved by an instructor, the student's advisor, and an assistant director of the program sponsoring the independent study. Independent study application forms are available at the Student Records Office on either campus.

Normally, students are limited to 3 units of independent study per semester. Students who wish to take additional units of independent study must submit a petition to the Policy Review Committee. CCA allows students to take up to 12 units of independent study units.