Webster Hall, located at 1511 Webster Street in Oakland, houses approximately 77 continuing, transfer (international and domestic), exchange, and graduate students on the top two floors of this wonderfully crafted building.
The bottom floors of the building are occupied by Envisions Academy of Arts and Technology high school throughout the school day. Webster Hall is composed of single, double, triple, and quadruple rooms.
Webster Hall's History
Known as the "student artist-in-residence" community (SAR), Webster Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Webster Hall, formerly known as the Oakland YWCA Building, was designed by architect Julia Morgan and constructed between 1913 and 1914. The student artists-in-residence community allows young artists to live, work, and be inspired in the heart of Oakland's art scene!
Access to the Bay Area's Vibrant Cultural Highlights
The student artists-in-residence community has access to museums, local galleries, theaters and is walking distance from Oakland’s Chinatown and beautiful Lake Merritt. Students living in the SAR have the opportunity to share their work with others who are serious about their scholarship and creating meaningful art, and receive critical feedback from their peers.
By living in this vital community, students have the chance to engage in meaningful conversations about the arts, develop new friendships, and gain exposure to professional artists.
Situated just two blocks from BART (the Bay Area Rapid Transit system that unites all four major corners of the Bay Area) and within walking distance of several major bus lines, getting around the Bay Area is quite easy! Of course, the free college shuttle runs weekdays during the academic year among Webster Hall, the Oakland campus, and the San Francisco campus.
This community is a great place to live and work! Some of the amenities included in the SAR are four studios, The North Star Gallery, a weight room, community kitchens and lounges, and on-site laundry facilities.
See rates for the current academic year posted on the main Residential Halls page.
- 3 studios—2 on the residential floors and 1 large studio located in the basement
- 2 common lounges equipped with televisions, DVD players, couches, and tables
- 2 kitchens that each include 2 stove tops, 2 ovens, and 2 microwaves
- refrigerator/freezer units provided in each room
- common gender-specific bathrooms
- high-speed internet jacks in each room and wireless in each lounge
- laundry facilities located in the basement
- small fitness room located on the fifth floor
- mailboxes located on the fourth floor
- around-the-clock, seven-days-a-week security in the building lobby
- security escorts to nearby facilities from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- college-provided shuttle service to/from San Francisco and Oakland campuses
- composed of students aged 19 and older
- coed community by room
- located in downtown Oakland at 1515 Webster Street
- 2.5 miles from the Oakland campus
- BART & AC Transit within 2 walking blocks
- near Lake Merritt farmers market and shopping district
- Whole Foods market located within 1.1 miles