Veterans Benefits

California College of the Arts offers a welcoming community to United States Veterans and family members of veterans. The college is approved for the training of veterans and eligible persons under Title 38, U.S. Code.

Veteran benefits are managed by the Student Records Office. CCA participates in the Yellow Ribbon program and has stated its intent to comply with the 2012 Executive Order 13607, Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions.

Veterans Benefits School Certifying Officials

CCA’s certifying officials are available in the Student Records Office. For more information please contact:

Jamie Wiegert, Senior Academic Records Coordinator
510.594.3643 or

Peg Leary, Associate Registrar
510.594.3644 or


First-time students
In order to initiate your veteran educational benefits, you must turn in the proper paperwork to the Student Records Office.

The Veterans Affairs (VA)-certifying official on the CCA campus must have copies of specific forms you submit to VA in order to verify your status each semester. Your enrollment will not be verified if copies of these forms are not turned in.

It is recommended that eligible students submit their application for educational benefits to VA before registering for courses, and to contact the Student Records Office immediately after enrollment.

Transfer students
Please be sure to complete the application for changing schools or programs for your designated benefit. Submit this form to VA and provide a copy of this form along with your original application form to the VA-certifying official at CCA.

Please review the information below to find a complete list of forms needed for each benefit chapter.

All Students
For VA educational benefits, apply online through VONAPP (Veterans Online Application)

It is recommended that applications be submitted to VA at least two months prior to the start of the proposed term of enrollment; doing so ensures your application is processed in a timely manner.

Please note CCA has an Oakland IHL code (94618) with VA, and all benefit amounts are determined by this code. This means you will receive an Oakland rate for your housing stipend, regardless of where you live in the Bay Area.

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill

All eligible Post-9/11 GI Bill veterans should review the benefits information on VA's website.

First-time students must complete an application for VA education benefits (Form 22-1990 for veterans, or if you're looking to transfer your benefits to a family member or spouse, please complete Form 22-1990E). All approved students must submit a copy of the following letter to the CCA school certifying official:

  • Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (form DD-214).
  • the student's Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from VA.

The Certificate of Eligibility provides a detailed explanation of your benefits inluding your benefit percentage and months of eligibility. VA will mail the COE to your home address 2-4 weeks after completing your application through VONAPP (Veterans Online Application).

Transfer students
(Those who attended another institution using VA benefits prior to enrollment at CCA.)

Please turn in a copy of your COE to the VA-certifying official on campus and submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995). (Note: This should be done prior to registering for courses at CCA.)

Yellow Ribbon

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual maximum.

The institution can contribute up to 50 percent of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

Only Chapter 33 students approved for 100 percent coverage are eligible for this benefit. We encourage all veterans to review the Yellow Ribbon eligibility criteria directly from the VA website.

General eligibility requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program include the following:

  • Veteran served an aggregate period of duty after September 11, 2001 of at least 36 months.
  • Veteran was honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.
  • Student is a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

All approved Yellow Ribbon students must submit:

  • a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) that includes Yellow Ribbon approval from VA.

CCA participates in The Yellow Ribbon Program and grants tuition assistance to persons who provide documentation of eligibility at the 100 percent level of the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Tuition assistance is provided annually and support continues throughout their time at CCA provided the following applies:

  • CCA continues to participate in the program.
  • The student remains in good academic standing.
  • The student has remaining entitlement.

While CCA is committed to helping all students achieve their educational goals, our participation in the program will be evaluated annually and the amount of tuition assistance is subject to change.

Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information about CCA’s tuition assistance via The Yellow Ribbon Program and financial aid options: 415.703.9528 or

Chapter 35 Benefits (Dependents Educational Assistance)

First-time students

  • You must complete an Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (Form 22-5490).
  • You may need to submit a copy of your birth certificate or marriage certificate, as applicable.
  • Submitting a Department of Veterans Affairs letter of eligibility and disability rating for the veteran may help expedite the processing of your application.

Transfer Students
(Those students who attended another institution using VA Benefits prior to enrollment at CCA.)

Please turn in a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the VA-certifying official on campus as well as the following:

Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-5495). (Note: This should be done prior to registering for courses at CCA.)

Chapter 30/32 VEAP / 1606 Benefits (GI Bill)

First-time students must complete and turn in the following:

  • The Certificate of Eligibilty.
  • Chapter 30/32 must turn in a copy of their DD-214.
  • Chapter 1606 students must also turn in a copy of their DD-2384.

Transfer students
(Those students who attended another institution using VA benefits prior to enrollment at CCA.)

Please turn in copies of the all forms listed above to the VA-certifying official on campus as well as a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995). (Note: This should be done prior to registering for courses at CCA.)

Direct Deposit

Direct deposit is available for some VA benefits. Please contact VA to see if your benefit is eligible and to complete any associated paperwork.

Important information for all students receiving VA Education Benefits:

  • Introduce yourself or get in touch with the VA representative at CCA upon acceptance.
  • Preenroll in your courses to prevent delays in your benefit payment.
  • Immediately report any changes to your full-time status to the VA-certifying official at CCA.
  • Make sure VA has your current street and email address on file.
  • Direct all questions regarding a check’s arrival, benefit denial, etc., to VA.

Veterans Benefits & Academic Standing

Veterans receiving benefits at CCA who fail to meet the standards for satisfactory academic progress for two consecutive semesters will be subject to interruption of their veterans benefits.

The decision of CCA to allow a third semester of probation or to reinstate a student following dismissal does not guarantee renewed benefits.

Contact Information

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee OK 7402-8888

VA Hotline: 888.442.4551 (888.GI BILL 1)
Hotline hours: 7 a.m.–5 p.m. (CT)

CCA VA School-Certifying Officials

Jamie Wiegert: 510.594.3643
Peg Leary: 510.594.3644

Student Records Office
Macky Hall (ground floor)
Oakland campus
Hours: M-F 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.


eBenefits​ Website
Current pay rates
Individual Benefits/Comparison Tool
Veterans Administration
VA GI Bill Benefits

1098t FAQ


FAQs for Students with VA Educational Benefits

Q: How do I know if I qualify for VA benefits for Education?
A: Call the VA Hotline at 1.888.442.4551 (1.888.GIBILL 1).

Q: I am a soldier with VA education benefits but still in active duty. Do you have courses for active duty military personnel?
A: At this time CCA does not have online course delivery; all courses meet in the traditional classroom setting.

In most cases we can accommodate active-duty reservists, but not full-time active-duty personnel. We encourage full-time active-duty military personnel to contact us once they have completed their tour of duty.

Q: How will my VA education benefits interact with other financial aid for which I may qualify?
A: The School Certifying Officials in Student Records work closely with CCA’s Financial Aid Office in order to maximize all possible aid for each student receiving VA benefits.

The financial aid process for GI Bill recipients begins with certification of enrollment with VA; all initial paperwork must be submitted by the student to Student Records before a financial aid award can be built.

Once enrollment has been certified with VA, CCA’s Financial Aid Office will begin packaging and communicating with each student individually.

Q: Are my books and/or housing costs covered by my GI Bill benefits?
A: It depends on your GI Bill chapter and your specific qualifications. Benefit recipients typically receive a stipend for books and supplies and some will also receive a monthly housing allowance. This information can be found on your COE. 

Please note CCA has an Oakland IHL code (94618) with VA, and all benefit amounts are determined by this code. This means you will receive an Oakland rate for your housing stipend, regardless of where you live in the Bay Area.

Q: Are there other on-campus resources for veterans?
A: Yes. CCA offers a complete array of student services and resources, including advising, counseling, tutoring, disability services, and career development.

In addition, there are many student activities, clubs, and organizations on campus.

For more information please see Campus Life at the CCA website.

Q: How do I waive CCA student insurance if I already have medical coverage?
A: If you already have medical insurance and need to waive CCA student insurance, please visit this FAQ page for deadlines and further information.

More frequently asked questions about VA educational benefits can be found on VA’s website.