Photo by Ben White.


California College of the Arts offers a welcoming community to United States veterans and family members of veterans.


Access support for your service

Support for your service

Veterans benefits are managed by the Student Records office, and we have two veterans benefits school certifying officials on staff who can help answer any questions you have about applying for or receiving your benefits.

The college is approved to use VA education benefits for the training of veterans and eligible persons under Title 38, U.S. Code. CCA participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program and has stated its intent to comply with the 2012 Executive Order 13607, Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions.

CCA charges only one set of tuition and fees, regardless of student residence and complies with S.2248-Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 section 103. CCA will not assess or implement any late fees for at least 90 days from the date of certification, for any covered individuals which are using Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 VA Educational Benefits. Covered individuals must provide the school with the following: a Certificate of Eligible (COE) (a print out of the student’s summary of benefits page from eBenefits is enough to meet this requirement). CCA will not require these students to borrow additional funds.


Reach out upon acceptance to CCA

Get help throughout the benefits process

If you might be eligible to receive Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits, please reach out to a VA school certifying official at CCA as soon as you’re accepted to the college.

Additional resources

Important links

Student Records office

80 Carolina (first floor)
San Francisco campus
Hours: M–F, 8 am–4:30 pm (PT)

VA regional office

P.O. Box 8888
Muskogee, OK

VA hotline

+1 888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL-1)
Hotline hours: 7 am–5 pm (CT)

How to Apply

Using your veterans benefits

Submit VA application before course registration

  1. Contact representatives in our Student Records office immediately after you receive your acceptance letter.
  2. Apply online through Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). It’s recommended that this application be submitted to VA at least two months prior to the start of your proposed term of enrollment so your application is processed in a timely manner.
  3. Please review the information under Benefits Types to find a complete list of additional forms needed for each benefit chapter depending on your enrollment status. Complete appropriate forms, gather responses, and submit.
  4. First-time students will need to turn in the proper paperwork to the CCA Student Records office. A VA school certifying official must have copies of specific forms you submit to VA in order to verify your status each semester. Your enrollment will not be verified if copies of these forms aren’t turned in.
  5. If you’re a transfer student, be sure to complete the VA application for changing schools or programs for your designated benefit. Submit this form to VA and provide a copy of this form along with your original application form to a VA school certifying official at CCA.

Benefits payment

  • Direct deposit is available for some VA benefits. Please contact VA to see if your benefits are eligible and complete any associated paperwork.
  • Pre-enroll in your courses to prevent delays in your benefit payment.
  • Immediately report any changes to your full-time status to the VA school certifying official at CCA.
  • Make sure VA has your current street and email address on file.
  • Direct all questions regarding a check’s arrival, benefit denial, etc., to VA.

Maintaining your benefits

Veterans receiving benefits at CCA who fail to meet the standards for satisfactory academic progress for two consecutive semesters will be subject to interruption of their veterans benefits. The decision of CCA to allow a third semester of probation or to reinstate a student following dismissal doesn’t guarantee renewed benefits.

Benefit Types

Additional application requirements

Yellow Ribbon

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the annual maximum. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

CCA participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program and grants tuition assistance to persons who provide documentation of eligibility at the 100% level of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. While CCA is committed to helping all students achieve their educational goals, our participation in the program will be evaluated annually and the amount of tuition assistance is subject to change.

General eligibility requirements

  • Only Chapter 33 students approved for 100% coverage are eligible for this benefit. We encourage all veterans to review the Yellow Ribbon eligibility criteria directly from the VA website.
  • Veteran served an aggregate period of duty after Sept. 11, 2001, of at least 36 months.
  • Veteran was honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001.
  • Student is a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

All approved Yellow Ribbon students

Submit to CCA a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from VA that includes Yellow Ribbon approval.

Maintaining Yellow Ribbon benefits

Yellow Ribbon tuition assistance is provided annually and support continues throughout your time at CCA provided the following applies:

  • CCA continues to participate in the program
  • Recipient remains in good academic standing
  • Recipient has remaining entitlement

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill®

All eligible Post-9/11 GI Bill® veterans should review the benefits information on the VA website.

All approved students

Submit a copy of the following to a CCA school certifying official:

  • Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Form DD-214).
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from VA. The Certificate of Eligibility provides a detailed explanation of your benefits including your benefit percentage and months of eligibility. VA will mail the COE to your home address two to four weeks weeks after you complete your application through VONAPP.

First-time students

Also complete and submit Form 22-1990 for veterans, or Form 22-1990E if you want to transfer your benefits to a family member or spouse.

Transfer students

Those who attended another institution using VA benefits prior to enrollment at CCA should also submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995). This should be done prior to registering for courses at CCA.

Chapter 35: Benefits/Dependents Educational Assistance

First-time students

  • You must complete an Application for Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (Form 22-5490)
  • You may need to submit a copy of your birth certificate or marriage certificate, as applicable
  • Submitting a Department of Veterans Affairs letter of eligibility and disability rating for the veteran may help expedite the processing of your application

Transfer students

Those students who attended another institution using VA benefits prior to enrollment at CCA should turn in a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility to a VA school certifying official on campus, as well as a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-5495). This should be done prior to registering for courses at CCA.

Chapter 30 and 32 (VEAP) and 1606 (GI Bill®) benefits

First-time students

  • Chapter 30, 32, and 1606 students must submit a Certificate of Eligibility
  • Chapter 30 and 32 students must also turn in a copy of their DD-214
  • Chapter 1606 students must also turn in a copy of their DD-2384

Transfer students

Those students who attended another institution using VA benefits prior to enrollment at CCA must turn in copies of the all forms listed above to a VA school certifying official on campus, as well as a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995). This should be done prior to registering for courses at CCA.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) benefits

All eligible veterans should review the benefits information on the VA website. To review your benefit information or apply, create an account with eBenefits.

First-time students

Your Vocational Rehab counselor will need to provide CCA with the 1905 form.

Transfer students

Those students who attended another institution using VA benefits prior to enrollment at CCA should submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995) as well. This should be done prior to registering for courses at CCA.


From eligibility to financial aid

How do I know if I qualify for VA benefits for education?

Call the VA hotline at +1 888-442-4551 (1-888-GIBILL1).

I am a soldier with VA education benefits but I’m still in active duty. Do you have courses for active duty military personnel?

At this time, CCA doesn’t have online course delivery; all courses meet in the traditional classroom setting. In most cases, we can accommodate active-duty reservists, but not full-time active-duty personnel. We encourage full-time active-duty military personnel to contact us once they’ve completed their tour of duty.

How will my VA education benefits interact with other financial aid for which I may qualify?

The school certifying officials in our Student Records office work closely with CCA’s Financial Aid office in order to maximize all possible aid for each student receiving VA benefits. The financial aid process for GI Bill® recipients begins with certification of enrollment with VA; all initial paperwork must be submitted by the student to Student Records before a financial aid award can be built. Once enrollment has been certified with VA, CCA’s Financial Aid office will begin packaging and communicating with each student individually.

Are my books and/or housing costs covered by my GI Bill® benefits?

It depends on your GI Bill® chapter and your specific qualifications. Benefit recipients typically receive a stipend for books and supplies and some will also receive a monthly housing allowance. This information can be found on your Certificate of Eligibility. Please note CCA has an Oakland IHL code (94618) with VA, and all benefit amounts are determined by this code. This means you'll receive an Oakland rate for your housing stipend, regardless of where you live in the Bay Area.

Are there other on-campus resources for veterans?

Yes. CCA offers a complete array of student services and resources, including advising, counseling, tutoring, disability services, and career development. In addition, there are many student activities, clubs, and organizations on campus.

How do I waive CCA student insurance if I already have medical coverage?

If you already have medical insurance and need to waive CCA student insurance, please visit this FAQ page for deadlines and further information.

More frequently asked questions about VA educational benefits can be found on the VA website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Begin your creative future at CCA

Apply now