Students walk through an exhibition of drawings at CCA. Photo by Nicholas Lea Bruno/CCA.

A timeline of bold moves

The college’s locational legacy proves CCA has never shied away from change.

Since the college’s earliest days, we’ve moved locations several times in support of a growing student body and evolving arts disciplines. Today, we carry forward this legacy by boldly moving into our next century of art and design education. Here’s a look at where CCA has been and where our future is headed in San Francisco.

2022

CCA’s living, learning laboratory comes alive with all students and programs working side by side in Studio Gang’s flexible and sustainable Double Ground design.

A rendering, or illustration, of the future campus from the second ground.

Rendering courtesy of Studio Gang.

2020

CCA begins construction on its major campus expansion, called Double Ground. This new facility will bring together all of CCA’s creative disciplines.

A rendering, or illustration, of the aerial view of the future campus.

Rendering courtesy of Studio Gang.

In August, a new residence hall, Founders Hall, opens at 188 Hooper Street, welcoming all first- and second-year students. With Founders Hall, Blattner Hall, and Panoramic Residences, CCA can now house nearly half of its student body.

Architectural rendering of new residence hall, Founders Hall.

Rendering courtesy of NY Architectural Renderings.

2018

Blattner Hall opens at 75 Arkansas Street near CCA’s San Francisco campus. Named after longtime trustee Simon Blattner, this new building accommodates more than 200 continuing, transfer, and graduate students in apartment-style campus housing.

2018: Blattner Hall opens at 75 Arkansas Street near CCA’s San Francisco campus. Named after longtime trustee Simon Blattner, this new building accommodates more than 200 continuing, transfer, and graduate students in apartment-style campus housing.

2016

CCA announces plans to expand its campus in San Francisco and selects Studio Gang to lead the design of the new campus.

A closeup of Studio Gang’s model of the new campus.

2011

The college purchases a 2.5-acre vacant lot from Greyhound Lines, Inc. in San Francisco—the future site of its campus expansion.

1999

The college celebrates the opening of the San Francisco campus, formerly a Greyhound bus depot, giving a permanent home to the college’s Architecture, Design, and Humanities and Sciences programs.

1977

Macky Hall is placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Macky Hall and other historic buildings will be preserved, leaving a lasting legacy in Oakland.

Macky Hall

Photo courtesy of CCA Libraries.

1922

Founder Frederick H. Meyer purchases the 4-acre James Treadwell estate in Oakland and leads a crew of students, faculty, and alumni that transform the rundown estate into a campus.

A building being constructed on the Oakland campus.

Photo courtesy of CCA Libraries.

1910

The school relocates to 2119 Allston Way, the site of the old Berkeley High School.

1908

Having outgrown its original location at The Studio Building in Berkeley, the school moves to a new home at 2130 Center Street in Berkeley.

1907

German-born cabinetmaker and arts educator Frederick H. Meyer establishes the School of the California Guild of Arts and Crafts in The Studio Building on Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley.

CCA Founder Frederick H. Meyer.

Photo courtesy of CCA Libraries.