Meet other art lovers from the Bay Area and beyond
CCA Atelier, named after the French word for “workshop,” provides curious young high school students an opportunity to hone their skills and practice new techniques through intensive discussion and activity.
Atelier's non-credit, non-residential youth programs are held in San Francisco throughout the year. All high school students (ages 14-18) are eligible to attend weekend-long intensives and multi-week classes in the fall and spring. And in the summer, ninth- and tenth-grade students can attend enhanced weeklong studio offerings, culminating in a student exhibition for family and friends.
Explore a range of interests in topic-focused intensives
Atelier offers accessible, flexible, and immersive learning experiences in a variety of art and design topics. Each Atelier instructor is a practicing artist or designer with experience teaching high school-aged students. Our instructors help Atelier participants investigate their interest, get hands-on with new materials, and create pieces they can use in future art and design school applications.
Recent fall and spring weekend workshops
- Figure Drawing
- Mixed Media & Collage
- Industrial Design Prototyping
- Fashion Upcycling
- Cyanotypes & Fashion Design
- Experimental Photography
Recent weeklong summer workshops
- Black & White Photography
- Digital Photography
- Animation 2D
- Architecture & Interior Design
- Comics & Graphic Novel
- Graphic Design
- Fashion Design & Textiles
- Film & Writing
- Illustration & Drawing
- Jewelry Making & Metal Arts
- Painting & Drawing
- Sculpture & Drawing
Sign up directly or apply for a scholarship
There are two steps to registering for summer Atelier:
- Select a specific summer studio and pay to register. Upon purchase, you will receive a confirmation email and a link to the required Atelier Program Application.
- Complete and submit the summer Atelier program application to finalize the registration and secure your student's spot.
Summer scholarships are available
We offer a limited number of CCA summer program scholarships to summer Atelier applicants who have significant financial need. Please only apply if your student cannot otherwise afford to attend. Please note: Scholarships do not include the lunch and snack fees.
Rather than registering for a specific workshop directly, submit a summer Atelier program Application and indicate your workshop choices within the application. You will also be required to submit the following:
- a copy of a parent or guardian's recent federal income tax return,
- a written statement that describes the financial need and the applicant's interest in the program and
- a name and email address for a current high school teacher or counselor.
- August 2023 / Registration opens for fall
- October - December 2023 / Classes and workshops
- December 2023 / Registration opens for spring
- February - May 2024 / Classes and workshops
- January 19, 2024 / Registration opens for summer
- May 1, 2024 / Scholarship deadline
- June 17-28, 2024 / Summer Atelier two-week program
Contact us anytime
We believe creativity is a lifelong experience that expands the potential of communities and individuals alike. How can we help? Email [email protected].