Continuing students are eligible to register during assigned registration periods or the add/drop period. All continuing students will be assigned a specific time and make-up time to register for classes online. Students may also register during the online add/drop period, but this is discouraged due to limited course availability.
Students cannot register for classes after the add/drop deadline. (See Add/Drop/Withdrawal for details.)
Online registration via WebAdvisor is available during the initial assigned registration period and during the online add/drop period; students registering after this period (on a case by case basis) must submit an add/drop form to the Student Records Office.
Registration for Continuing Students
Registration for the upcoming semester occurs on each campus simultaneously for three consecutive weeks. Students are assigned appointments based on units completed within their class level. All continuing students will receive their registration appointment time via their CCA email address in mid October and at the beginning of March. Students can also view their registration times via WebAdvisor.
To view the breakdown of registration dates for the upcoming term (see Student Records for details).
New Student Registration
Incoming degree-seeking students are encouraged to participate in the early registration process, which takes place in June for the fall term and in December for the spring term (see the Admitted Student page for more information). New students also have an opportunity to register or make adjustments to their registration during New Student Orientation (see Student Orientation page for more information).
Continuing students are ineligible to register or adjust their schedules during New Student Registration sessions during orientation.
Registration Periods for Nondegree Students
Members of the community need not be admitted as degree-seeking students in order to take courses at CCA. However, applicants who have been denied admission to the college and wish to enroll as nondegree students must have the prior approval of the college. Such requests must be submitted to the Enrollment Services Office.
Nondegree students interested in attending the summer 2015 term may register for classes beginning Monday, April 20.
Nondegree students interested in attending the fall 2015, or spring 2016 terms may register for courses with the Student Records Office during the first week of the term. The first week for the fall 2015 term is August 31-September 4, and the first week of the spring 2016 term is January 19-22.
Nondegree students should be prepared to document relevant professional and educational experience, especially for courses that have prerequisites, and to provide evidence of technical competence on equipment when appropriate. Course registration will be on a space-available basis.
Because popular courses often fill early, nondegree students are advised to be prepared with alternative selections.
Nondegree courses earn college credit and are charged per the degree program tuition and fee schedule. Nondegree courses must be paid for in full at the time of registration.
CCA is not authorized to issue Certificates of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Students (F-1) or Exchange Visitor Status (J-1) to students enrolled solely in nondegree coursework, including CCA Extension.
The Student Records Office monitors class enrollment in the following ways:
- Students who place into Writing Skills Workshop and do not enroll in the course during their first semester will not be allowed to register for the following semester without including it.
In addition, these students will be dropped from any courses for which Writing Skills Workshop is a prerequisite or English 1 is a corequisite.
- Students who have received a grade lower than C in a course will be dropped from additional courses for which they have subsequently registered that has said course as a prerequisite.
CCA maintains cross-registration agreements with Mills and Holy Names colleges. For no additional cost, CCA students may register for one regularly scheduled undergraduate course per term at either of these institutions under the following conditions:
- student must be registered in at least 12 units at CCA and must be a second-, third-, or fourth-year student in good academic standing
- student’s combined unit total may not exceed 18 units at Holy Names College or 19 units at Mills College
- course at the other college must not be offered at CCA in the same semester
- student must meet the registration deadline set for cross-registration by the host school
- student must not be currently enrolled in the final semester at CCA
Procedure for Cross-Registration
To qualify for cross-registration, students must:
- obtain a cross-registration permit from the CCA Student Records Office
- obtain information about available courses from the Student Records Office at the host institution
- complete the permit form, including obtaining signatures from the CCA Registrar and an advisor
- present the cross-registration permit with all the appropriate signatures to the Student Records Office at the host institution and submit a copy to either Student Records Office (San Francisco or Oakland) by the end of the first week of classes
Student enrollment is normally limited to 18 units in the fall and spring semesters, and 9 units in the summer term. Enrollment in more than 18 units for fall and spring requires the student obtain written permission from Academic Affairs for the overload and submit the signed permission to either Student Records Office (San Francisco or Oakland).
Enrollment in more than 18 units is extremely rare and requires additional tuition charges.
San Francisco campus address
1111 Eighth Street
San Francisco CA 94107
Oakland campus address
Oakland CA 94618