Disability/Access Services

Providing access to a diverse student population is embedded in the philosophy of California College of the Arts.

We recognize disability as an aspect of diversity that is integral to society and to the campus community. Accordingly, CCA's Access and Wellness Services collaborates with students, faculty, and staff to advocate for inclusive and sustainable learning environments.

The mission of Access and Wellness Services is to ensure that all students can access the learning environment at CCA. Access and Wellness Services accomplishes this by ensuring students with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities at CCA and by providing all students access to viable health insurance coverage and wellness information in order to maintain their health.

(Note: Faculty members should review the Faculty Guide to Disability Services to ensure they are in compliance with the recommendations and policies set forth by Access and Wellness Services.)

Who Is Eligible for Services?

The following examples of supports and services are available through Access and Wellness Services to eligible students who encounter barriers to full access or participation in the physical, curricular, or informational environments within the college.

  • Note-taking assistance
  • Permission to record lectures
  • Extended time on exams
  • Alternative location
  • Physical accommodations for access
  • Access to text on alternative formats
  • Sign Language Interpreting -- ASL Interpreting or Transliteration for Academic and Extracurricular Activities

Notes: The following services are available to all students, regardless of disability status.

  • Read and Write Gold literacy software. Read and Write's many features include hearing web pages and documents read aloud to improve reading comprehension as well as understanding unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries.
  • Coaching and tutoring services are available through the Learning Resource Center. Call 510.594.3756 or email vjardim@cca.edu, or drop by Irwin Hall, Room 213.

How to Access Support & Services

Access and Wellness provides services to enrolled students who have a documented permanent or temporary physical, psychological or sensory disability (including pregnancy-related disabilities) that qualifies them for academic accommodations under the law. To obtain services through Access and Wellness, you will need to do the following:

Responsibilities of Students

  • You are responsible for your own success in higher education and to meet the academic standards required of all students.
  • Talk with your instructors and let them know of any accommodations you may need during the term in a timely manner. (Access and Wellness Services will provide you with a notification letter to be presented to instructors.)
  • Please notify your instructors or Access and Wellness Services immediately if you encounter barriers or are experiencing difficulty in your classes.
  • If you have delayed notification, instructors are neither required to offer make-up exams, nor obligated to provide retroactive accommodations.

What Are Your Rights?

Information regarding a student's disability is considered confidential and only exchanged on a need-to-know basis.

If you believe the director of access and wellness services has not identified or provided reasonable accommodations or auxiliary aids, you may seek review of the director's actions by contacting the vice president of Student Affairs.

Inquiries & Appeals

Inquiries and appeals beyond the institutional level may be directed to the following:

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
50 Beale Street, Suite 7200
San Francisco CA 94105
Phone: 415.486.5555
Fax: 415.486.5570
TDD: 877.521.2172

ADA Technical Assistance Program
U.S. Department of Justice
Phone: 800.514.0301
TTY: 800.514.0383

Other Resources

Wondering if you might have a disability? Do you suspect you have a learning disability and want an assessment of your learning style? Want to know more about dyslexia, attention deficit disorder (ADD), or nonverbal learning disorder (NLD)? The Learning Resources Center can help, refer you to local clinics and professionals, or both.

Additional answers to your questions may be found at the following websites:

Other Services

The following free services are available to all current students regardless of their disability status:

  • counseling
  • study skills workshops
  • academic coaching

See Counseling and Learning Resources for more information.